>> Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Dearest readers: You've all been so patient. Those of you who are like, "what the HECK is up with Ashley's new diet? I WANT THE SWEET STUFF!!!" Well, you're gonna get the sweet stuff. Right now. And better than ever! In fact, this post doesn't even need the usual rambling paragraphs about how great these cupcakes taste. No -- I just need to shut up and give you the recipe. Right?
Now, if you'll remember, I was lusting over Smitten Kitchen's chocolate peanut butter cake on DAY 3 of the detox. Of course, I found the post AFTER I started my whole detox-y thing. And though my eating isn't 100% vegan/raw/detox-ish/etc./etc./etc., I still didn't want to throw in lots of eggs and butter. But it was the day before our New Year's Eve party, and I just HAD to make this. So I set out to make it at least a tiny bit healthier.
Hope you enjoy!
What you'll need for the chocolate cupcakes . . .
- 6 tablespoons applesauce
- 2-1/4 cups soy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups unbleached cane sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Insert cupcake liners into a medium cupcake pan.
- Whisk together the applesauce, soy milk, vanilla, and vinegar in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Cup by cup add the dry ingredients to the liquid ones. Beat well.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the top of the cupcake is rather firm and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool and then frost (recipe below).
What you'll need for the frosting . . . (makes about 5 cups)
- 10 ounces vegan cream cheese, at room temperature (I used Tofutti)
- 4 ounces Earth Balance (or other butter substitute), at room temperature
- 5 cups vegan confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (I used Skippy Natural)
Method . . .
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the vegan cream cheese and Earth Balance until light and fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar -- 1 cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl often. (Doing it 1 cup at a time is VERY important.)
- Continue to beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and beat until thoroughly blended.
***To make the topping -- my version of SK's chocolate-peanut butter ganache -- just melt together 1/2 cup peanut butter with 1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips (my favorite is the Sunspire brand). Mix in 1 tablespoon vanilla extract . . . and you're good to go. Just spoon on top and let cool (or not!).