>> Tuesday, February 9, 2010
One of my friends and his little guy have been munching on chocolate (chip pancakes) for breakfast lately. It got me thinking about creating an ULTIMATE chocolate pancake for myself. Because I'm addicted to chocolate, and there's no better cure than consuming it in the wee hours of the morning. These wheat-free, vegan pancakes have it ALL! We're talking banana, chocolate-peanut butter, chocolate chips, vanilla, etc! But they're not so bad for you . . . no, really!
I call 'em monkey pancakes because for some reason, the combo of banana and chocolate and peanut butter makes me think of, well, monkeys. Oh, yeah. And there's a monkey on the jar of peanut butter I use in the recipe. Plus, including all the ingredients in the title would be silly.
Now, the real trick is using this peanut butter that we recently discovered called Dark Chocolate Dreams from Peanut Butter and Company. Using this specific kind isn't necessarily required for the recipe, however -- I think it's good to show you guys this stuff. It's basically vegan Nutella (with peanuts, not hazelnuts) -- but I like it much better. In fact, I can't get enough of it. Our local Wegmans sells it . . . and I see it popping up more and more at other stores (if you'd like to find some of you own, in a grocery aisle near you, check our their store location tool). And if you haven't seen it, you can get some online . . . and it's worth every penny!
What you'll need . . . (for a tasty breakfast for two)
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter (or 1/4 cup natural peanut butter mixed with 1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder)
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (uncooked, processed in food processor until they are like flour)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Handful vegan chocolate chips (I used Sunspire)
Method . . .
- Mash the banana until gooey with no clumps.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt some Earth Balance (or other butter substitute) and pour a 1/3 cup amount of batter into the pan.
- Fry on each side until lightly browned. Continue with the rest of the batter.
- Top with banana slices or more chocolate chips. And enjoy!
And be sure to check out the details about our Something for Nothing Giveaway of Martha Stewart's Cooking School cookbook -- to celebrate 500 (and now 612) followers :)
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!