>> Friday, February 12, 2010
Hi, I'm Molly! I recently quit my job to focus on cooking delicious food for people like me who have allergies and intolerances. you can read all about my exploits at The Particular Kitchen.
I'm American, but I've been living here in London for the past year and a half with my boyfriend, Phil. We travel back to the states a few times a year, visiting family and friends, and we're returning in April for a little spring break getaway. I love to travel, but jetlag is a horrible thing. However, I think I've found the cure: My kale and white bean soup.
It's completely vegan and allergy-friendly. It's full of fresh veggies, beans, a spicy red chili, and a very bland broth. It fires you right up and shakes the sleepies away -- and it also helps you get rid of that gross "airplane" feeling. But the soup isn't just a jetlag cure. It serves as a great immunity booster, too (especially if you're feeling rundown or sniffly during cold, cruel February).
Maybe we could consider this the vegan equivalent to chicken soup for the soul? Again, the recipe is not an exact science, but here's what I used:
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can cannelini (or other white) beans, drained
- 1/2 bag of kale, chopped
- salt and pepper
- red chili flakes (optional for extra heat)
- boiling water
- Heat some olive oil in a large saucepan and cook up the onions, carrot, and celery. once the onion is transparent, add the garlic and chili. Cook for a few minutes, then add the beans and kale.
- Add as much boiling water as you think you will need. this soup is kinda nice with slightly less water than you’d expect, so you can see the beans and kale poking out of the top.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add a dash of red chili flakes if it's not spicy enough.
Thanks to Molly for sharing with us such a tasty cure for our second READER SPOTLIGHT! And if you'd like to be featured, just check out our info post with all the gooey details about the spotlight, as well as guest posting opportunities. And keep an eye out for Sarah's unique taco recipe, with EGGS -- which will be featured in next Friday's post.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!