>> Thursday, March 18, 2010
Have you ever had an accident in the kitchen that's actually turned out far better than your original plan? I wonder sometimes if that's how many baked goods and other eats were created. I now have a story of my very own to share. I set out to make a green smoothie the other morning . . . and I wanted to use avocado. Again, it was one of my treats this week in our effort to slash our grocery bills. But I've had too many green smoothies lately, and I wanted this one to be chocolate-y.
I put the meat of a whole (perfectly ripe) avocado in the blender. Added a few handfuls of spinach. A couple heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder. Some almond milk. And then I hit blend. But, what I pour into my cup wasn't exactly smoothie consistency. It was thicker. It tasted amazing, though. And since I was pressed for time, I ate it as is. Partway through my noshing, I realized (probably because I was using a spoon) it was exactly like chocolate pudding.
What you'll need . . .(for 2 large servings)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups almond milk (or other substitute -- I think coconut milk would be great!)
- 2 handfuls spinach (I used baby spinach)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons flax meal (optional -- put in for nutritional value, not taste)
Method . . .
- Put all ingredients in a blender
- Adjust (add more) milk and sweetener as necessary to reach desired consistency/flavor.