>> Monday, March 8, 2010
I'm going to start out this post with a confession: I've never actually consumed an entire McDonald's Shamrock Shake. Blame it on my early lean toward vegetarianism -- which kept me out of the golden arches chain after age 12. Or just my own elitism. Yeah. I'm a food snob. We all have our things.
I've sipped, though. So I get the crush everyone seems to have on this frosty treat. But at over 600 calories per 16 ounce serving (but who's counting calories?) . . . and all that fat . . . I just don't think it's worth the indulgence. Until now!
We made our own shakes this weekend after attending our city's super early St. Patrick's Day parade. But we made 'em vegan -- so less fat and guilt. And they taste amazing. Minty, refreshing . . . and you don't need to find yourself green with envy. You can make the shake, too!
What you'll need . . . (for four hefty servings)
- 8 large scoops vanilla soy or rice ice cream
- 2 cups regular or vanilla soy or rice milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 to 4 drops green food coloring
Method . . .
- Put all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend. Add more milk substitute or ice cream to achieve desired consistency.
- Enjoy. And add some chocolate syrup if you wish.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!