>> Monday, March 22, 2010
Happy Monday, everyone! Thanks for all your help with our weekend spending question on Friday. We've received some great advice and things to think about regarding going out to eat. We're hoping to post some tips very soon, as well as share the wisdom you all gave us.
Now, it's time for some grub. When we lived in Ithaca, there was this GREAT pizza place that delivered tofu wings. Then, they closed. Then, we moved. No more tofu wings. But they were so good, we just had to figure out a way to get our fix. This recipe is SO simple -- and perfect for parties.
Try it out with different hot sauces, dips, etc.
What you'll need . . .
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup canola oil (for frying -- we used a large fry pan, so you may want less oil)
- 3/4 to 1 cup hot sauce (picante)
- 3 tablespoons soy butter
Method . . .
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Drain tofu and cut into large strips (you may wish to press the strips with a paper towel to get excess moisture out).
- When oil is very hot, stir in tofu and fry until both sides are a deep golden brown. This process may take a while depending on how much water was still in the tofu. If you find there's a lot of liquid. If so, empty some out while cooking.
- Melt soy butter and mix it in with the hot sauce. Pour mixture into a large, shallow dish.
- Put fried tofu into the dish and stir. Let sit for five to ten minutes. Then, heat in microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute (this gives it a good, wing-y texture).
- Serve with vegan sour cream, blue cheese dressing, or ranch . . . whatever you like!
I think I mentioned that Stephen and I went to my hometown this weekend (Wellsboro, PA) to attend one of my best friend's baby showers. It was definitely a gorgeous weekend to be there. I'm lucky to say that I'm from one of the "most untouched" areas in the United States. We have this amazing canyon . . . and, really, not a ton of development.
Anyway, we both went running a lot on Saturday and Sunday. And that meant we were on a lot of streets and roads in and around town. I don't know how many of you live in our area of the Northeast, but a big issue right now is the Marcellus-Shale gas drilling. (If you're unfamiliar, just look it up on Google.) Anyway, I don't have much to say about it right now. And certainly nothing positive. However, back to the being on street and roads . . . we saw a ton of trucks hauling gravel to drilling sites this weekend. A couple at first, then maybe 10. By the end of the weekend, I counted over 35 of these loud, heavy trucks. And to be quite honest, it feels like the entire area is being invaded.
It's disheartening to say the least. And don't just take it from me. We got some of this stuff on video. I'm just hoping what I witnessed this weekend isn't the beginning of the end for my little slice of paradise.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!