>> Thursday, April 22, 2010
I swear I've been baking, too. But most of what I'm dying to share with you is on the cook side of preparation. These vegan sloppy joes were whipped up using whatever we found in our fridge and cupboards. We were trying to skip a trip to the grocery store this week, but we weren't able to entirely (we had to buy buns). It's not all bad, though. Our total grocery bills -- including everything we needed for lunches, too -- was only $12. Amazing!
We've definitely made up for last week's gross display of food savings laziness.
What you'll need . . .
- 2 cups vegetarian baked beans (we used Amy's organic)
- 1 cup chopped greens (we used boy choy, but spinach, kale, etc. work, too)
- 1/2 chopped red or green pepper
- 1/2 cup TVP (you may use more or less depending on what texture you'd like to achieve)
- 1 tablespoon (or more, to taste) ketchup
- Garlic powder
- Whole wheat buns
Method . . .
- Over medium-high heat, cook red/green pepper in a bit of olive oil for about 2 minutes. Until soft.
- Add the chopped greens, lower heat to medium, and stir for one minute.
- Add the baked beans, TVP, ketchup, and garlic powder. Let cook until TVP plumps (5 minutes or so).
- Then spoon onto buns. Makes enough for four sloppy joes.
And if you haven't already -- go check out this month's Blog Love Fest. It's a special edition because we're not only sharing the links in a list this month. We're creating a categorized blogLOVEroll. For all the gooey details, just visit the BLF post.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!