>> Wednesday, June 23, 2010
I hate, hate, hate mayonnaise. I love, love, love egg salad. There's an easy solution, though, that works extremely well and tastes great. Just use TAHINI! I know it sounds incredibly weird. But I'm starting to use tahini in everything. You may have noticed it in the veggie stromboli recipe we just posted. So, if you're game, you definitely should try this recipe, too. I promise you won't gag. You won't think it tastes bad. Not even for a second.
In fact, you'll probably fall in love and want to discover even more uses for tahini. It's not just for hummus anymore!
First we need to cover how to hard boil an egg (or 5). There are many methods, but this is the one that's worked best for me . . .
- Put your eggs into a stock pot. Cover with an inch of cold water.
- Bring water to a boil, then immediately remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 13 minutes.
- Then transfer to a bowl of very cold water. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- My dad has a trick: Stream a little cold water in the whole time (it's somewhat wasteful, but keeps the temp cold).
- Then put in a container (or baggie) and refrigerate. You can also eat warm, if you like.
By following this method, you'll likely have some awesome hard boiled eggs to enjoy alone or in this egg salad recipe.
THE MAYO-LESS EGG SALAD
What you'll need . . .
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled, of course
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- Half a tomato, chopped
- Handful of spinach, chopped
- A bowl and a fork
- A bagel or English muffin
Method . . .
- Put the eggs and all other ingredients in a bowl.
- Use the fork to mash everything together.
- Toast a bagel or English muffin and serve the sandwich open-faced.
- Marvel at your creativity and enjoy!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!!