>> Thursday, June 17, 2010
One of the main reasons I bake is because I crave sweets almost constantly. Well, not exactly. Since I've stopped eating most packaged foods, my sugar cravings have curbed slightly. But I love, love, love a good cookie. So, when a craving for peanut butter & chocolate (the most common of all) consumed me Sunday night, I made these cookies. They're a bit juvenile, so I think they're perfect for kids (and me) -- still a bit healthier than the usual, store-bought cut & bake kind, but with all the flavor.
And when you're looking to bake something fast -- do you want all of THIS in your cookie (from Nestle's Ultimates - Peanut Butter Lovers)?
SUGAR, BLEACHED ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), PEANUT BUTTER FLAVORED MORSELS (SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL AND PALM OILS, MILK AND NONFAT MILK, PEANUTS, PEANUT FLOUR, AND 2% OR LESS OF SOY LECITHIN, SALT, HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, ARTIFICIAL VANILLA FLAVORS), MARGARINE (PALM OIL, WATER, SUNFLOWER OIL, HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, SALT, VEGETABLE MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, SODIUM BENZOATE, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, BETA CAROTENE COLOR, VITAMIN A PALMITATE ADDED), PEANUT BUTTER (PEANUTS, DEXTROSE, HYDROGENATED RAPESEED AND COTTONSEED OILS, SALT), WATER, EGGS, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, MOLASSES, SALT, CORNSTARCH, PEANUT BUTTER PASTE (PEANUTS, PEANUT FLOUR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM KERNEL OIL, SALT, HYDROGENATED PALM OIL), BAKING SODA, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, VANILLA EXTRACT, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES AND POLYSORBATE 60, VANILLIN - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR
I certainly do not. Though this recipe has M&Ms and Reese's Pieces, it's far better than consuming all of that crap. That's for sure.
Scary? Also yes.
PEANUT BUTTER CANDY COOKIES
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup extra crunchy peanut butter (I used a natural variety from Wegmans)
- 1 cup butter or Earth Balance (at room temp.)
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs (or favorite replacement -- I used 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- M&Ms and/or Reese's Pieces
Method . . .
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs (or replacement) one at a time; then stir in the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder and gently fold these ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Then mix in however many M&Ms and Reece's Pieces you want. I used about 3/4 cups M&Ms and Reece's combined.
- Take heaping tablespoons of dough and roll between your palms to make 2-inch balls (and spread them 2 inches apart on a nonstick baking sheet).
- Press each cookie with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool.
- Enjoy immediately (or store for up to four days in an airtight container).
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!!