>> Tuesday, August 31, 2010
While we're on the topic of smart foods for endurance athletes and marathon runners . . . a recipe! Yup -- we think this soup recipe is the perfect pair to this information. It may be over 90 degrees outside today, but the forecast calls for a drastic cool-down this weekend. Fall-like weather is returning slowly, but surely. What does this mean exactly?
It's time! Time to break out the SLOW COOKER!
We affectionately call this slurpable stuff the "poor (never home)maker's" stew because it's full of all the leftover foods from the week. Stuff we didn't want to waste. What's in your pot may differ from what's in ours. Use the ingredients list as a mere guide -- and use up your ripe produce (and lonely cans of beans) before it wilts away!
You may think this stew looks suspiciously familiar -- maybe a little TOO much like our Rainbow Stew. And you're right! But we've made a few modifications for health (for example: lower the salt content and level of difficulty!).
THE POOR (NEVER HOME)MAKER'S STEW
What you'll need . . .
- 2 cans (or one large can) of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of low-sodium corn kernels, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of fire-roasted, diced tomatoes, juice and all
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped Opo squash (again, use what YOU have -- maybe eggplant?)
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Method . . .
- Chop, mince, and otherwise prepare all your ingredients.
- Put EVERYTHING -- all vegetables (and fruits if you want to get all technical on me) and beans -- in the slow cooker pot and mix them to distribute.
- Pour in the water and soy sauce. Sprinkle in the spices.
- Turn the slow cooker to high and cook for about 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Mix every hour or so.
- Serve with bread or pumpkin macaroni and cheese. It freezes well, too!
If you have yet to invest in a slow cooker -- I would highly recommend revisiting the idea. Though we've gone through our list of useless kitchen gadgets, a slow cooker is CERTAINLY not among them. It's one of our favorite kitchen contraptions. One we use time and time again. If you do have your own, what's your favorite slow cooker meal?
We have several -- mostly soups/stews:
In other news, Stephen cut my hair last night. Yes. Stephen. I find it hilarious -- the horror that comes over someone's face when I tell them I let my husband go scissor-happy on me. But he did a fantastic job. I've been wanting a chop for a while. The way I look at it, perhaps it's SLIGHTLY uneven (though, so far, I've found no issues), but that's another $45+ in our pockets for our anniversary celebration this weekend!
Or to go towards savings (whatever that is . . . ).
ALSO: Don't forget to enter our Operation Beautiful Giveaway. That's right! We're giving away a copy of Caitlin Boyle's new book -- enter by Friday, September 3rd at 9PM EST for your chance to win!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!