>> Thursday, September 23, 2010
I've been feeling panicky about getting sick before the marathon. I work on a college campus, and it definitely seems like something major is going around. My allergies have also been awful -- and they tend to develop into more (like sinus infections, etc.) over time. With only a week and a half (less, really) left, I am on a mission to stay healthy until I reach the start line.
My methods? Drink a lot of water. Go to bed early. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Drink immune supports (like Emergen-C). Try, try, try to stay stress free. That's a tricky one, though.
On the fruits and veggies front, breakfast is always the best place to start. These oats were inspired by Angela's Dirty Green Monster Oats. I figured all the kale goodness has to help. Right?
GREEN COCONUT OATS
What you'll need . . .
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raw kale
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
Method . . .
- Cook the oats in the water by tossing oats/water into medium saucepan bringing water to a boil, and then lowering heat/cooking for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a blender, blend the kale, 1/2 cup almond milk, applesauce, and maple syrup together.
- Bring the heat up to medium-high on the oats. Pour in the green mixture. Add the coconut flakes. Continue cooking until thick.
- Serve into a bowl and toss some blueberries on top. Then use a fork to whisk together the peanut butter and 1 tablespoon almond milk. Use as a sauce.
Do you have any secret methods for staying healthy before a big event? Any you'd be willing to share with us? We can use all the help we can get! Just leave a comment or email us at neverhomemaker [at] gmail [dot] com.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!