>> Wednesday, December 22, 2010
This blog has been void of my favorite ingredient . . . until now. And I bet many of you thought my love affair was over. That I had finally decided the orange puree -- much like wearing white shoes after Labor Day -- is inappropriate after the Thanksgiving holiday.
Of course, when I found this recipe, I couldn't wait to try it out. Sneaking pumpkin into Snickerdoodles -- it's genius! As you'll find out if you try this recipe, it's also a fabulous way to liven up a Christmas favorite.
(Recipe adapted from Recipe Girl)
Print this Recipe!
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup Earth Balance (or butter)
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon Bob's Red Mill egg replacer plus 3 tablespoons water (or 1 egg)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Method . . .
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the Earth Balance for 3 minutes, until whipped.
- Add in the sugar, egg replacer, pumpkin, and vanilla. Beat for 4 to 5 minutes, until fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flours, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Cover bowl and put in your refrigerator for at least 1 hour, until firm.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together your rolling sugar. Place on a plate.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough and roll them into a ball in your hand. Roll into the sugar. Then place on the cookie sheet. Flatten with the back of a spoon and place about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes -- until cookies are golden on the edges.
- Optional: Top with a mini bar of chocolate (or a Hershey's kiss).
12 COOKIES OF X-MAS
- Day 1 (Salted Cornmeal Sugar Cookies)
- Day 2 (Mexican Hot Chocolate Chippers)
- Day 3 (Festivus Bars)
- Day 4 (Julie's Chocolate Chai Tea Cakes)
- Day 5 (Chocolate Chunk Oaties)
- Day 6 (Fudge-Topped Chai Bars)
- Day 7 (Clove-Spiced Shortbread)
- Day 8 (Nicole's Double Chocolate Almond Biscotti)
- Day 9 (Nightcap Fudge)