>> Friday, January 21, 2011
One of my goals this year is to be more creative. To develop my inner-artist -- which, for me, is mostly through music. I'm auditioning for our campus's community chorus next week. So, that's a start -- and I'm super excited about it. I've also been playing guitar/singing for at least 15 minutes per day.
I'm not great, but I'm slowly re-gaining my range. Re-learning chords. Re-discovering my voice. My brother is even going to teach me some fingerpicking (I never really learned). Which leads me to something scary: I really want to do an open mic night . . . like: A LOT. I've wanted to do one pretty much since . . . forever.
BUT I'm absolutely terrified to sing alone in public.
It's not that I can't do it (I was in musicals, had solos in chorus concerts, and performed in a variety of other events throughout the years, including some karaoke hits). It's just extremely, extremely difficult for me.
Lights shining in my eyes.
Mic in front of me.
FROZEN. Forgetting words and chords.
Suck-y singing. Ahh!
SOLUTION: The Blogtastic "Open Mic" event!
S.e.r.i.o.u.s.l.y. I haven't hammered out all the details yet, but I'm completely dedicated to making this happen. Many of you expressed your own desires to grow your creative sides this year. And here's your chance to showcase your progress!
- Anyone can participate. Singers. Instrument players. Poets. Fiction and other writers. Painters. Photographers. Crafters. Style gurus. If it's creative and can be shown online -- you're in.
- It's a Date: Friday, February 25th. This give y'all an entire month to create your piece and figure out a way to share. (Video is best -- even if you're just holding up your painting, for example, and briefly explaining it -- because we're at our most vulnerable . . . In other words: I challenge you to go outside your comfort zone. However, video isn't required to participate. Photos will do the trick, too.).
- What I need from you is a promise that you'll participate. A virtual pinky swear. A promise that you'll post your submission on Thursday, February 24th by midnight. That way, everyone can have the weekend to check out all the "performances" -- how fun!
- I'll also need your first name, blog name, and link to your blog -- in advance (you can just email us), please -- so I may create a list of stops on the Open Mic circuit. As well, it'd be nice if you could include the title or type of "performance" you are going to give.
- First round of folks will need to let us know by February 15th if they plan to participate. If all goes well, we'll host another event in March!
- Am I forgetting anything? Probably. If you have questions -- just email us at neverhomemaker [at] gmail [dot] com.
Less than a week after I challenge myself to dress up more -- to stop wearing my active wear to work -- I'm sporting Luon again. But I figure it's Friday. The day after a minor snow storm. I've been prettied up all week.
Go easy on me!
Shirt (underneath) and jeans: Gap
If you'd like to catch up on my style transformation, just click these links:
- Post 1: Fleece and Luon -- No More!
- Post 2: Weekend Happenings -- Style Edition.
- Post 3: Yet Another Belted Shirt
- Post 4: Resisting the Belt. For Today.