>> Tuesday, February 8, 2011
I've been sick-ish for the past couple days (ever since our hike in the freezing rain!), so laying low has been my top priority. But I had to jump on here today to share this black bean-avocado salsa salad recipe. It's sooo simple: Black beans, fruits/veggies, and avocado. A splash of lime juice. Salt and pepper. Just chop and mix.
It's vibrant -- both aesthetically and nutritionally. Delicious. And it was the perfect addition to Sunday's Super Bowl feast . . . BUT I enjoyed it even more last night atop a fried egg with some whole grain toast.
BLACK BEAN-AVOCADO SALSA SALAD
What you'll need . . .
- 1 large red pepper
- 2 small jalapeno peppers
- 1 medium Spanish onion
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 avocados, sliced into chunks
- Bunch of fresh cilantro(optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
Method . . .
- Chop the red pepper, jalapeno peppers, onion, and tomatoes. As chunky as you like -- that's why we consider this dish a salad versus a salsa.
- Also chop the cilantro. Mix everything together with a spoon.
- Add in the black beans. Season with the salt and pepper. Squeeze the lime juice over everything. Mix.
- We chose to divide our salad in half and only eat half (serves two) during the game. So, we used one avocado and saved the other for the next day so it wouldn't brown.
- Enjoy alone or with chips/bread. Or on eggs. Yum!
This is our new bed and quilt combo. I don't want to post photos of the entire room just yet because we're still working on it. We still need to patch and paint the walls. I have no idea what color would go best with the spread (suggestions are welcomed!).
We also need to pick out some art. I want to stick with calming prints -- the bedroom has become my de-stressing place. Which, I guess isn't uncommon, but it hasn't been this way the entire time we've lived in our home.
- Chorus is going extremely well. I'm not a fan of Monday night practices, but once I'm there, I have a blast.
- I'm doing the 30 for 30 Challenge (on Kendi Everyday). I just haven't been so great at documenting. Hopefully I'll get the motivation later this week!
- It's February 8th . . . and I haven't bought any new clothes (or old clothes -- clothes PERIOD) this year so far. Yay for me!
- I'm planning to record my Blogtastic "Open Mic" song tonight. It's between three different ones -- I'm already nervous!
Just leave a comment or email us at neverhomemaker [at] gmail [dot] com.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!