>> Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Stephen's birthday wasn't exactly the perfect day to be on a detox. So, between the Sweet Potato Brownie binge and the mint-chocolate Bailey's last night, I suppose I've been on only a daytime detox. Today, I'm hoping to go the distance . . . I'm hoping to resist temptations.
Now, I told you the Milk & Honey Smoothie would be great with chocolate. I had to make sure. I also took some reader suggestions and used banana and maple syrup as substitutes.
Two words: VERY GOOD. Also, my first batch of vegetable broth lasted two full days (and kept me full). This morning, I created another variety to starve off boredom.
We're running low on veggies, so it involved a lot of this:
It looks super healthy, too:
GREEN VEGETABLE BROTH
What you'll need . . .
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 to 8 stalks of celery, chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Method . . .
- Again -- the measuring is dependent on how strong your want your broth to taste, I'd say I had between 3 and 4 cups of veggies. Check out this other version -- or just use what you have on hand.
- Bring water to a boil. Then add the veggies and spices. Simmer -- covered -- for 20 minutes.
- This time around, I took out all the veggies and blended in our blender until smooth. Mix the puree back into the broth for a nice, thick soup.
- I'm drinking 1-1/2 cups for lunch #1 around 11:00 AM. Another 1-1/2 cups around 2:00 PM.
Still not sure what I'll be eating for dinner. I haven't exercised in the past two days due to some knee issues. But today I'm planning to jog 6 to 8 miles after work. I'll definitely need fuel. Stay tuned!
Question: Do you take a multivitamin? Back in this post, I told you all that I actually take a prenatal vitamin because my doctor suggested it. I've found that a lot of my friends and family are split on this issue. Some think a multi is absolutely necessary. Some think a healthy, well balanced diet is enough.
So, let us know what YOU think!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!