>> Monday, August 15, 2011
These bars are fantastic for dessert. They are equally lovely for breakfast. They are sweet, but not too sweet. Dense and moist (I hate that word, but they are MOIST). And the best I can describe the flavor is this: They're like a hot bowl of apple-cinnamon oatmeal. In bar form.
With or without walnuts.
What you'll need . . .
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (melted)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, uncooked
- 1 small apple, skinned and chopped into small pieces
- 1 to 2 handfuls crushed walnuts (optional)
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 8x8 square pan. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the Earth Balance, maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla, baking powder, and flax meal until well combined.
- Add the oat flour, oats, and cinnamon. Mix until well moistened.
- Then toss in the apples and walnuts. Mix just briefly until well distributed.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for about 25 minutes -- until the edges are golden brown.
- Let cool before serving.
What's new on (never home)maker, baby! -- 25 Weeks and Running: How my favorite activity feels now that I'm 25 weeks along.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!