>> Tuesday, August 16, 2011
What happens when you . . .
a.) are hungry for sweets, but impatient?
b.) run out of peanut butter, but still crave something more than simple chocolate?
You get creative -- no-bake style. With tahini! (Really. Just keep reading. This seemingly icky flavor combo is actually quite amazing.)
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Method . . .
- Line an 8 x 8 square pan with plastic wrap and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the rolled oats, walnuts, and coconut flakes. You want to form a fine meal.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, tahini, and coconut oil. Heat at 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted together.
- Add your vanilla extract and maple syrup to the chocolate mixture and stir.
- Then, in a large bowl, add the oat mixture and chocolate mixture together. Start with a spatula. It will be thick -- so you may wish to eventually just use your hands to combine it.
- Toss the chocolate-tahini ball into your prepared pan and press it down until it is even and smooth (you may wish to use another piece of plastic wrap to help you do this).
- Then cover and let set in the refrigerator until firm.
- Cut into squares. Store in the fridge.
The texture is just like fudge. However, I sometimes find fudge boring, so I like the slight crunch from the walnuts, oats, and coconut flakes. (The nutrition doesn't hurt either!) The flavor isn't something that I had experienced before. Sort of like a peanut-butter-and-chocolate-grows-up taste.
I also like how with this dessert, a little goes a long way. I have this immense capacity to gorge myself with sugar. With these, I take a few bites . . . and I'm good. Hopefully they'll last more than just a couple days, which is what's typically the case in our house.
If you're looking for something a bit healthier, check out yesterday's Apple-Oat Bars. I'm having one again for breakfast today! And on (never home)maker, baby! you can check out my latest craft project for the nursery.
I'll give you a hint: It rhymes with kilt.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!