>> Monday, September 5, 2011
These cookies are the perfect treat to transition from summer to fall. They only require six ingredients. Clean-up, as a result, is minimal. And they're vegan, however you may substitute butter for the Earth Balance and achieve equally delicious results.
I made these cookies specifically for Stephen. I love how simple they are, and I knew that would be a major feature he would appreciate. So, the naked cookies are what he enjoyed.
For myself, I added candy corn.
What you'll need . . .
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/4 (to 1-1/2) cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup processed almonds (instructions below)
- Pinch of salt
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip together the Earth Balance and maple syrup on high. Until fluffy.
- Take 1/2 cup of whole, unsalted almond and pulse them several times in a food processor until well chopped (but not nearly as fine as almond meal).
- Add these almonds, the wheat flour, and salt to the butter-syrup mixture.
- Dough should be moist, but not wet. So, if you need to add more flour, do so in 1-tablespoon amounts.
- Scoop heaping tablespoon amounts of dough into your palm, roll, and flatten with your palm. Place on cookie sheet. I got away with doing just one sheet this way, as they don't need room to rise.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
- Optional: While cookies are still warm, top each of them with a piece of candy corn.
Yeah. Fall is definitely coming. It's our favorite season, and I can't wait to indulge in all the cider, apples, and pumpkin my body can handle. And now that I'm 28 weeks pregnant, we're realizing fall is also the season when we'll get to meet our little girl.
Read all about it today on (never home)maker, baby!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!!