>> Thursday, October 6, 2011
I don't drink coffee, but I thoroughly enjoy coffee cakes of all varieties. It had been nearly two years since I made one at home (Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake). So, I happily whipped this one up before work yesterday morning, incorporating a full cup of homemade Ginger Gold Applesauce (from locally grown apples!) I made over the weekend.
Definitely my best breakfast cake yet!
Not too dry or moist. Not too sweet or bland. With a crumbly topping we couldn't resist . . . which is why these photos are all we have left. Well, AND the memory of how great it all tasted.
APPLESAUCE COFFEE CAKE
What you'll need . . .
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or your favorite substitute -- Greek is all we had on hand)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a square baking dish (9 in. x 9 in.) and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, maple syrup, vegetable oil and applesauce. Then add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Combine with a spatula until everything is wet/together -- but resist over-mixing.
- Pour mix into your prepared pan.
- Then combine all the topping ingredients in a small bowl using a fork. Spread mixture over your cake batter.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes -- until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool.
Serve hot, warm, or cold. With or without coffee.
And today on (never home)maker, baby! you can check out my 32 week belly shots (self portraits). Today I'm 33 weeks. 7-ish more to go!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!