>> Wednesday, April 11, 2012
Those Chevron Peanut Butter Cookie Bars are a tough act to follow. That's for sure. But today's recipe is for a super open-faced sandwich. And it's pretty customizable, which I love. It may seem like a lot of steps for a sandwich -- but well worth it, I promise.
OPEN-FACED ASPARAGUS AND TOFU SANDWICH
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cake of extra firm tofu, drained
- Some type of spices to rub in (we used a smoked paprika-chipotle combo)
- 6 to 9 sprigs of asparagus
- Goat cheese (ours was a fig variety)
- Sliced French bread (3 slices)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Method . . .
- Once you've drained the tofu, cut it into three big slabs. Then rub in a generous amount of spice.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, toss in 2 tablespoons oil. Then cook tofu on each side until well browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Then toss in the onions. Cook for a couple minutes. Then add the maple syrup. Cook until browned. Set aside.
- Steam asparagus by pouring 1/4 cup of water into a high rimmed pan. Put in your asparagus once the water is boiling. Then cover and let steam for 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Toast bread to your liking. Then spread a generous amount of goat cheese on each slice.
- Place a slab of cooked tofu atop the bread. Then the asparagus. Then the onions.
- Repeat with all slices.
So, as you see, we're eating more soy. (By the way, we got a ton of great, thoughtful comments on last week's post about the topic. If you haven't weighed in yet, now's your chance!)
If you're following Writing Chapter Three, there are a couple new posts for you to catch up on. First, I wrote about how Ada's 5 months old and we're swaddling again. And today I wrote the second installment of the Zero-Intervention Hospital Birth series: Goals.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!