>> Thursday, September 20, 2012
It's been a while since I posted a chocolate dessert. I've haven't been baking much. (I have, though, been eating my share of chocolate.) These guys have a secret ingredient. And one that I don't intend to keep secret, of course. First, can you guess what it might be?
I'll give you a hint. Think about my fluffy scrambled eggs yesterday.
Yup. Vegan mayo. Just a tablespoon of it, but I know it makes a difference. These are my new favorite vegan brownies. No fussing with egg substitutes either!
GOOEY VEGAN PB-CHOCOLATE BROWNIES
What you'll need . . .
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (softened)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (heaping) Vegenaise
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Method . . .
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 9" x 9" baking pan (I used a glass one) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, peanut butter (heat it in the microwave for like 20 seconds so it's smoother), water, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Then fold in the Vegenaise and chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into baking dish, even out, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Check center of brownies to see if it's set by inserting/removing a toothpick. If not done enough, bake another 10 minutes -- mine were pretty gooey in the middle, but I like them that way.
Check out Writing Chapter Three to see about a million self portraits and more about my new toy.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!