>> Thursday, December 27, 2012
If you have a a chilly afternoon like this, the best way to warm up and recharge is with tomato soup + grilled cheese. We've been making a lot of our Roasted Tomato Soup lately. After posting that recipe several of you mentioned the roasting isn't really necessary.
So, I played around a bit.
The recipe is easy.
- Mince 3 large cloves of garlic. Then, in a large stock pot, saute the garlic some olive oil for a few minutes.
- Crack open two 28 ounce cans of whole peeled tomatoes. In a food processor, completely blend one of the cans -- tomatoes, water, all -- with the garlic. Then add the other can and coarsely combine (so it's chunky).
- Return mixture to the stock pot. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, basil, and paprika. To taste. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar (about a tablespoon) if you like.
- Let flavors mingle (heat on medium-low) for 25 minutes.
- Then add in 1/2 to 1 full cup of sour cream. Cook another 10 minutes.
- Serve with toasted cheese.
I opted for a slightly more grown up version of grilled cheese. Open-faced with cheddar broiled to a perfect brown. Covered with avocado slices and then sliced into great shapes for dipping.
A new take on comfort food.
If you'd like to check out Ada's big X-mas gift this year (a play kitchen), check out Writing Chapter Three.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!