>> Monday, January 28, 2013
Everything about this recipe isn't classically ME. I don't often bake with fruit. I don't often make desserts without chocolate or peanut butter. I don't often bake gluten-free. I rarely use less than 1/2 cup sugar.
And, yet. . .
I am in love with this cake.
LEMON CORNMEAL CAKE
gluten free + vegan
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup rolled oats, pulsed into flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 2 lemons (1/3 cup)
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar***
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Half cup frozen blueberries
I've been able to swap with a 1:1 ratio -- so you can use any other sugar you like in this recipe. Brown sugar would work well, too.
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. If you have a cast iron pan -- mine is 9 inches diameter -- place it in the oven to heat, too.
- In a food processor, pulse your oats until they resemble flour. A minute or so. Then briefly pulse in the cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients -- minus the blueberries -- and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the blueberries. Then carefully get the pan out of the oven pour a heavy teaspoon of olive oil in the center and pour in the mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until set in the center. Baking time will depend on if you use cast iron or a regular round 9" baking dish. Just make sure it's set and golden brown.
- Let cool before slicing into wedges. Enjoy with fruity tea, if you like.
It's a healthy, muffin-y cake with a rather bold lemon flavor, so get ready for it. I like it that way, though. Intense. You can add more sugar, maybe even a 1/4 cup more, if you'd like to cut down on the sourness. The rind, too, can be omitted to tone it down.
We ate this cake for breakfast, snacks, and after dinner. I think it'd be great with frozen raspberries or blackberries, too.
Today on Writing Chapter Three . . .
We changed up the
PS: Thanks for your movie suggestions. Tried to go see Les Mis with a couple of my girlfriends . . . and it SOLD OUT with the person before me in line. Then we asked about Silver Linings Playbook. SOLD OUT TOO. Talk about bad luck. We got coffee instead. Maybe next weekend.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!