>> Tuesday, July 9, 2013
I told you I'd be back with more pesto-riffic ideas for you. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite way to use homemade pesto in bulk -- and it works no matter what ingredients (think GREENS) you end up using. This basic pizza dough works great for, well, pizzas + calzones, but also a sweet modification of one of my favorite recipes: Pumpkin Pesto Rolls.
Now make some PESTO garlic rolls!
PESTO PIZZA DOUGH
Vegan optional, depending on your pesto.
What you'll need . . .
- 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey/maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Garlic Scape + Swiss Chard Pesto
- 3+ cups bread flour
- pinch salt
Method . . .
- If you haven't already, make your pesto. As I've said in the past, you can sub in most leafy greens you have around your kitchen -- so feel free to get creative. We've used anything from swiss chard to kale, etc.
- Then in a large bowl, combine the warm -- not hot -- water, yeast, and sugar. Stir and let sit until frothy -- around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the pesto and olive oil. Stir well.
- Then add in the bread flour + salt -- at first just 2-1/2 cups. Knead and add more flour 1/4 cup at a time until the mixture forms an elastic ball. Not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours until doubled in bulk.
- Then punch down and divide into two balls. Store one and divide the other again -- but into between 6 and 8 balls. Then follow the instructions in the Pumpkin Pesto Rolls post for the rest.
Like I said, making a simple + satisfying pizza is always great, too. Tomorrow I'll share this beauty with you -- homemade kalamata tomato sauce and all!
Have I convinced you to eat pesto with every meal yet?
What's your favorite use for the gorgeous, surprisingly healthy green spread?
MORE THINGS PESTO:
Steamed Pesto Dumplings
Garlic Scape + Swiss Chard Pesto
Pumpkin Pesto Rolls
Vegan Walnut Pesto
Basil-Pesto French Toast
Pesto French Toast, II -- with Avocado Butter
Pesto Quiche with Oatmeal Crust
Pesto Garlic Knots
Pesto Portabella Sandwiches
(Pesto) Smothered Mother
Like what you just read? Browse more of our posts + recipes on Pinterest. You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!