>> Tuesday, July 16, 2013
Quick recipe today. We haven't had waffles in a while, so I've been itching to get out the maker again and mix up a batch. I don't know about you, but this time of year our fridge is bursting with local yellow squash and leafy green basil from our CSA share.
You see where this is going.
SUMMER MARKET WAFFLES
vegan + veggie-filled; makes enough for 2-4 people, depending on hunger status
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup shredded summer squash
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch salt
Method . . .
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then add the squash, basil, and liquid ingredients. Mix until fully combined, but do not over-mix.
- Preheat your waffle maker. When it's ready, generously grease the top and bottom with Earth Balance or spray oil. Then scoop heaping 1/4 to 1/3 cupfuls and cook as directed.
- Eat immediately or follow the instructions in this post storage.
Sweet? Savory? So, here's the best part: This waffle can go either way, depending on your mood. Top it with peppery fried eggs + hot sauce, like Stephen did. Or some Earth Balance + maple syrup like I did. Both were absolutely appropriate and fantastic at the same time.
I love when recipes turn out to be so customizable!
Don't have a waffle maker? No problem. This recipe would work well for pancakes, too. You can get an adequate waffle machine for under $20, scratch that, under $10. It may not be fancy, but it does the job!
MORE WAFFLE GOODNESS
Homemade Applesauce Freezer Waffles
Green Egg-Topped Waffles
Peanut Butter + Banana Waffles
Like what you just read? Browse more of our posts + recipes on Pinterest. You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!