>> Saturday, October 12, 2013
I marvel at people who can turn their frustration and anxiety into productive energy. I try my best -- if for no other reason than to keep my sanity -- but I am usually unable to move. Utterly paralyzed. Stephen's one of these super-human creatures and, for example, has run more miles this month than perhaps in any other week of his training. I, on the other hand, didn't even care to count. I know last week's miles could be counted on just one hand.
Life is crazy. Motivation ebbs and flows with each hour, depending on what's going on. And now that we have now passed the biggest hurdle in our current situation and Ada's on the mend, I'm slowly feeling more enticed by these gorgeous fall days. I want to get moving again, in all regards.
I want to reclaim this season.
DNS-ing our half marathon was necessary -- all while being disappointing. I know my energy was focused in the right direction, so I have no regrets. As I've written in the past, though, I need to take care of myself in order to take care of my family. If you've been reading for a long time, you know exercise is important to me. So, it's one area in my life in which I need to move on and find a new goal.
Here are a few goals I'm tossing around:
- Work up to swimming two miles.
- Devote 3 days a week to strength.
- Delve back into yoga practice.
- Take an adult dance class.
- Train to run a fast 10K.
- Work up to running a 20 mile long run for fun.
- Train for a spring half marathon, 1:40:00 goal.
- Work up to doing 5 pull-ups.
Here's what I mean:
- I'd like to give my overall "diet" a looking over. I often feel this way with the change of seasons. I get in lots of food ruts and would like to add more variety with fruits and especially vegetables.
- I'd like to eat more vegan meals because it will force me to experiment with new ingredients and methods.
- I'd like to create healthier desserts before the holiday season, without skimping on deliciousness.
- I'd like to continue to expand my bread baking -- along with other from-scratch skills.
- I'd like to create some solid soup recipes. I three in mind, actually, but just haven't had the time to develop them.
- I'd like to set aside a few hours every Sunday where I spend time creating something purposeful in the kitchen. I used to do this whole "champagne afternoon" thing -- so I think it's the right time of year to start again.
- I'd also like to start having more meals with friends. I'm thinking potluck style brunches and the like.
- Eventually I'd like to re-merge my blogs into one mega-blog. I think I've written about this before. Initially I wanted to separate everything for the benefit of the reader -- many of whom aren't interesting in musings on our family life. Thing is, it is who I am . . . so it's weird to split content. And it's clunky for those of you who like to read both.
- I've like to get more organized and even have recurring themes or series. Not only for myself to stay motivated and excited to write, but also so readers can know more what to expect on the day to day.
- I also want to enrich my posts with more personal stories and heart. It's when I inject more of myself and, in turn, learn more about you all that I feel the happiest and most fulfilled in writing.
I hope you are all well, and I look forward to regaining my voice as this new season rolls on!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!