>> Wednesday, November 20, 2013
I don't think the holidays are a time to show off cooking skills. To spend hours toiling away in the kitchen, stressing over getting everything just so. I'd much rather be sleeping in . . . or eating . . . or chatting with family . . . or running the annual 8K on Thanksgiving day.
So, this side is one of those dishes you can just throw together and sort of forget about -- at least for the most part. It's simple, that's for sure, but it's got some flair all its own!
MAPLE ROASTED FINGERLINGS
What you'll need . . .
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes (other thin-skinned would work, too)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Dash (or 7) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry basil or rosemary
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. And I'd recommend using a rectangular baking dish (preferably glass).
- Scrub potatoes until clean + place in your baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, maple syrup, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and basil/rosemary (I'd recommend the latter, but I was out!).
- Dribble mixture over potatoes and toss until well coated.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then mix around and return to oven. Repeat until you've baked potatoes 45 minutes to 1 hour. Until browned, but not dried out on the inside.
- Let cool slightly before serving, and feel free to ladle any of the extra maple mixture on top.
So far, Thanksgiving Brunch is looking pretty tasty -- no? Between soft boiled eggs atop spinach toast, Bittersweet Pumpkin Pie, and now these taters, I think we're off to a good start. But just wait till you see what I have in store for you next!
What way do you lean at brunch -- savory or sweet?
I'd have to say (and I know this seems like cheating), I like a good mix between the two. One of my all-time favorite recipes has got to be Basil Pesto French Toast.
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!