>> Tuesday, November 12, 2013
I didn't invent this combination: cornbread + curry. At least now I know I didn't. Boo. A quick Google search allowed me to discover that. But for a few minutes in my kitchen last night, I thought I was a culinary genius. Curry goes famously inside a lightly sweet cornbread. And with a hearty bowl of Super Simple Chili?
Well, I think we're starting this snowy season off right.
yields 8 wedges perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even dessert!
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 3/4 - 1 cup white-whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons golden flax meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 (heaping) teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 8 to 9 inch cast iron pan with coconut oil (or olive, etc.). Let preheat in the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients. Then pour in the wet and mix until just combined.
- Pour mixture into preheated pan. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown on edges. There's a fine line between being done and over-baked.
- Let cool before slicing into wedges and topping with butter or Earth Balance.
Between dinner last night and breakfast this morning (with poached eggs!), I definitely ate half the pan. The maple syrup makes this "bread" sweet enough to even pass as a cake. So, obviously, I need to make more soon to pair it with even more of my favorite soups and toppings.
I'm sure I'll be giving you even more great cornbread recipes (I already have quite a few) as the season rolls on. It's just that time of year. We already have a dusting of snow on the ground and the thermometer has yet to reach above 30 degrees this morning. We're in for it now . . .
Pssst: Don't forget to enter the Baked Doughnuts for Everyone! giveaway. You can win a copy of Ashley McLaughlin's new book!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!