>> Tuesday, December 17, 2013
It's been a while since I've made a new soup recipe. I love chunky stews and chili, which is why I make those varieties far more often than slurpable stuff of this sort. But . . . there I was in my kitchen looking into a sad drawer of limp, forgotten broccoli. The whole USE IT UP! automatic healthy eating tip was screaming in my head.
I just couldn't stomach another stir-fry.
So . . .
BROCCOLI + SWEET POTATO SOUP
with coconut milk for vegan richness!
What you'll need . . .
- 2 large heads of broccoli, chopped small
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled + chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2-3 cups (low sodium) vegetable broth
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Olive or Chili oil (optional)
- Prepare all your veggies, then in a stock pot over medium heat, saute your onion in some olive oil until soft. Then add in potatoes and broccoli and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the broth (start with two cups) and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Then lower to a simmer for around 15 minutes, until veggies/potatoes are soft/blendable.
- Let cool slightly before blending* until smooth. Add more broth as necessary to reach desired consistency. Then return to the stovetop to season with the salt, pepper, and optionally kick up the heat with a little chili oil.
Yes. The soup does turn a light brown color, depending on your specific ratio of sweet potatoes to broccoli. If you're looking for a more appetizing presentation, you could always sub in a white potato. But then you'd be missing out on the extra dimension of flavor + nutrition the sweet potato adds. It's a delicate balance.
You could also add in some cayenne. I love hot + spicy soups!
Psst: Be sure to check out our gift lists!
Gifts for the Active Family
Fun Gifts for Foodies
Active Gifts for Women
On Stephen's List
On Ashley's List
On Ada's List + 80 toddler gift ideas split into 20 fun categories!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!