>> Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Airing my dirty laundry today. Or, I guess in this case, it's my cluttered freezer drawer.
We have an upright freezer in our basement that I have filled to the brim (and organized, labeled, etc.!) with all sorts of foods, from Vegetarian Freezer Month eats to big bulk bags of veggies + fruits to glass containers of homemade staples, like applesauce, waffles, and chili.
Our refrigerator's freezer drawer is quite another story, as you can see. It's a catch-all for leftovers that aren't as, well, planned. Like bananas that are too ripe. Or half bags of frozen stuff. Or old freezer packs. (We have a million on them somehow.) From what I discovered . . . stuff expired in 2007 and ALL . . . what we keep upstairs is stuff we rarely eat.
I think a huge part of it is my own lack of labeling and organization coupled with the poor design. Or let me re-state that. The poor design for my own preferences. When we bought our refrigerator several years ago, a drawer was a HOT item on my must-have list. Now? I
After doing a major cleaning, I ended up getting rid of the majority of what you see above. Including a few rogue breastmilk bags from Ada's first year. Now we're left with an empty space looking to be filled.
Here's the deal:
- I'm planning to keep a roll of masking tape + a Sharpie next to the fridge to make labeling simple.
- I'd also like to create a list of what's in the freezer to post on the refrigerator door.
- I might invest in some smarter storage for that type of space, maybe something like these taller, slimmer containers.
- I may also try to create some loose zones in the freezer (like fruit, veggies, meals, desserts, etc.) so everything is easier to find.
- And obviously, I need to clean the freezer more regularly to keep everything under control.
I need all the help I can get!
Like what you just read? Browse more of our posts + recipes on Pinterest. You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!