>> Thursday, January 23, 2014
I'm not sleeping well these days. So, baking is a priority for my sanity. Cookies = happy. Here's another great half dozen cookies recipe to add to the bunch. I think I've mentioned before that I'm trying to use less sugar in my baking and, instead, swapping it for lower glycemic sweeteners. Ones, like honey or maple syrup, that have more nutrition for Ada's sake. And my own, for that matter.
This recipe is an effort toward healthier snacking -- with loads of flavor and texture to boot.
Let's get to it!
HALF DOZEN GF DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CHIPPERS
refined sugar free, peanut free, vegan, and gluten-free
What you'll need . . .
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup GF oats, pulsed into flour
- heaping 1/4 cup walnuts, pulsed into flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt
- handful or two chocolate chips
- handful or two crushed walnuts
- handful or two GF oats*
- Pulse your oats + walnuts + cocoa powder + flax meal + baking soda together in a food processor (this is the one we have) until flour-like. Takes just a few minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Cream together the Earth Balance + maple syrup + vanilla extract using the paddle attachment on your mixer. (You can also do this in your food processor.)
- Mix on low adding the oat flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips, walnuts, and extra oats.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for half an hour or more.
- Then scoop into 6 generously sized cookies onto a lightly greased baking sheet
- And bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
- Let cool completely before eating (they set nicely this way).
* The yield of this recipe is slightly more than with the other half dozen varieties because of all the add-ins. Still, this is a nice small batch for those nights when you don't want to make 5,000 cookies and eat them all. Right?
// RELATED RECIPES
Half Dozen Chocolate Chippers
Half Dozen Brownie Cookies
Half Dozen Peanut Butter Cookies
Half Dozen GF Chocolate Chippers
Chocolate + Peanut Butter Cookies Mashup
Crazy Layer Bars, Made Healthier
Like what you just read? Browse more of our posts + recipes on Pinterest. You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!