>> Monday, March 24, 2014
We had some spring snowfall overnight last night with more on the way in a day. Regardless, I'm feeling like I need some color in my life, and this protein-packed smoothie is a jolt of healthy morning energy without caffeine or added sugar.
Also, I made it entirely with inexpensive ingredients from Aldi!
FRESH ORANGE WAKEUP SMOOTHIE
Makes two 12 ounce servings at approx. 19 grams of protein each
What you'll need . . .
- 1-1/2 cups plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3-4 seedless mandarin oranges (or 1 large orange)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Peel oranges and try to remove as much of the pulp as possible.
- Combine all ingredients in your blender (or I had better luck pulverizing the pulp in my food processor) and blend until smooth.
- Pour into two 12 ounce servings and enjoy.
The very first time I made this smoothie I was frustrated because the pulp was in thick clumps and got stuck in the straw. So, I just made sure the next couple times to blend longer than I would other smoothies. I haven't had a problem since. We have a Ninja Blender and a Cuisinart Food Processor, for reference. I'm sure a pricey Vitamix would blend with zero issues.
What'd you have for breakfast this morning?
Check out our tips for Automatic Healthy Eating!
- Stock up on frozen veggies
- Buy greens and actually USE them
- Create simple, go-to meals
- Learn to love alternatives
- Prep, Make, and Store
- Add In: Convenience to your advantage
- Eliminate Food Waste
- 20 Ideas for Make-Ahead Meals
- 15 Recipe-Lite Vegetarian Meals to the Rescue!
- 8 Vegetarian Proteins Perfect for Breakfast
- 12 Recipe-Lite Protein-Packed Breakfasts
And don't miss our 90 healthiest recipes of 2013! Lots of delicious, wholesome foods for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and beyond. Includes both vegan and vegetarian recipes to please the entire family -- even toddlers!
Like what you just read? Browse more of our posts + recipes on Pinterest. You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!