>> Wednesday, March 26, 2014
One of my favorite things to do at the start of a busy week is to roast a big batch of veggies to toss into soups, burgers, and other recipes throughout the week. With my fridge full of inexpensive Aldi eats (see my month of groceries for under $300 -- $72/week!), this usually means I'll roast cauliflower, green peppers, onions, and sometimes mushrooms.
// BASIC ROASTING
Just preheat oven to 375 degrees F, chop veggies, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt + pepper, and then bake in 15-20 minute intervals until browned and delicious.
Then I scoop into containers for fridge storage.
And to toss in recipes like this one!
// VEGGIE-LOADED QUESADILLAS
Makes 4, serves two hungry runners.
What you'll need . . .
- 4 medium flour tortillas
- 1 cup (or more) black or pinto beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 cup roasted veggies, chopped small
- Shredded cheese*, as much or as little as you'd like
- Olive oil
- Greek yogurt
- sliced avocado
- hot sauce
- Get all of you ingredients out and in front of you. This part is important for fast, efficient assembly.
- Drizzle olive oil into a medium pan over medium-high heat and place your first tortilla on to cook for 15-30 seconds (lightly browned).
- Then flip and immediately spread a thin layer of cheese, then some beans, then veggie mixture and use a spatula to fold in half + press down to cook bottom side until golden.
- Carefully flip to cook on other side, until golden and cheese is wonderful with melty goodness.
- If your pan gets too hot, lower heat a bit and wait a couple minutes. It happens between cooking sessions.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillers -- then slice in half or quarters.
- Scoop a couple tablespoons of the yogurt and salsa on the side, dribble with hot sauce, and top with avocado slices.
And did I mention this entire recipe -- soup to nuts -- was made with Aldi ingredients? Believe it! It's a new favorite of ours because it's got a lot of flavor AND nutrition. We use the organic salsa in medium spice . . . and you seriously can't beat their prices on avocados. That used to be a luxury item, and now we're buying them every week.
Pure joy right there.
What great meals have you made with inexpensive ingredients lately?
More #unsponsored ALDI recipes:
Fresh Orange Wakeup Smoothie -- 19 grams of protein!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup -- lots of hidden veggies!
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!