>> Tuesday, April 15, 2014
See a trend? I can't promise I'll be able to swing it every week -- but I'm trying to offer up some tasty recipes that make use of the same ingredients in different ways. And I also like if I can make meals and treats using ingredients primarily purchased at Aldi.
Yesterday was delightfully vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread.
Makes 6-8. Vegan. Gluten-Free. Delicious.
What you'll need . . .
- 1-1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 white onion, diced or grated
- 1 can beans (I used white beans) -- drained + rinsed
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika + chipotle seasoning (or other spices)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pulse the beans in your food processor a few times. Alternatively, you can roughly mash with a fork. You want them mushy, but not pureed like hummus.
- Then combine all ingredients in a large bowl. You can use a big spoon or even your hands. Just mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Then take palmfuls of the "dough" and form 6-8 patties.
- Place patties on a plate (wax paper is optional) and refrigerate for an hour or more to help firm up. I actually found the burgers we left in the fridge overnight did better.*
- Then heat some olive oil in a fry pan on your stove top and cook on both sides until browned.
* Since this recipe doesn't have flour or oats or any other type of grain, it is a bit mushier when cooked. However, if you don't press the burgers down flat while cooking, they keep their shape nicely. Worth it for a true veggie burger sans fillers -- IMO.
Slap between slices toasty bread.
Top with salsa, avocado, or whatever else you desire!
Maybe some Baby Kale Pesto?
Much to my surprise, salsa and mustard make a winning combination! I love these burgers because they are light and seedy. I don't know what it is, but I have a thing with seeds lately. So, feel free to substitute any ingredients you have on hand.
// MORE SANDWICHES + BURGERS:
- Lentil + Quinoa Burgers*
- Black Bean-Tempeh Burgers*
- Vegan Churchkey New Luther MEGA Sandwich*
- Black Bean-Spinach Burgers*
- Caprese Sandwich
- Moosewood Asparagus Melt
- The Ultimate Vegetarian Sandwich
- The Ultimate Stuffed Veggie Burger
- Open-Face Portabella Sandwich
- Vegan Sloppy Joes*
- Green Hummus Sandwich
- Apple-Cheese Bagel Sandwich
- Chickpea Burgers*
- Vegetarian Juicy Lucy
- Veggie Behemoth: The Lover Sandwich
- High Maintenance Melt
- Mayo-Less Egg Salad
- Black Bean Burgers*
- Fire-Grilled Camp Sandwich
- Gourmet Grilled Pizza
- Hummus Melts
- Seitan Dogs, Part I: The Dogs*
- Seitan Dogs, Part II: Toppings
Like what you just read? Browse more of our posts + recipes on Pinterest. You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!