>> Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Our most recent trip to Aldi was yet again $108. I'll get into the specifics in another post this week. Sort of strange how that worked out, as we didn't buy the same stuff the time around -- yet we had another huge cart for $108. Also figured into that number were some items we took to a cookout this weekend.
My favorite items this week? The hummus and italian bread!
And so do these toasts/sandwiches. Everything you see if made from Aldi food!
// WHAT I USED:
- 4 gigantic slices of Italian bread
- Four flavors of hummus -- my favorite is the green (jalapeño)!
- Some block Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 sauces: Ranch dressing, hot sauce, BBQ sauce, and salsa
- Roasted asparagus spears*
- I roasted the asparagus spears using the directions below.
- I toasted the bread in a standard toaster first. This required having half the slice stick out the stop and rotating a couple times until lightly golden.
- Then I turned the oven to its broil setting, spread the hummus on the slices of bread and topped with some cheese. I let broil until browned and bubbly.
- Then I put the sauces on each -- there was no flavor matching. I just did it at random.
- Then I put the spears atop each slice and cut the toasts down the middle.
// ROASTED ASPARAGUS SPEARS
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Get out a rimmed baking sheet.
- Wash and cut ends off your asparagus spears. Then drizzle with a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, then flip around and cook another 15 minutes. You'll likely want to roast again until you start to see some deep brown marks. Possibly 45 minutes or more in all.
- Asparagus should be somewhat limp and crisp (weird, but true) when you take them out of the oven.
So, another day -- another delicious sandwich (Stephen topped his with arugula). You could easily adapt this "recipe" to make the whole thing on the grill as well! Just grill your asparagus first, lay a bit of foil down so your bread doesn't burn and do everything as detailed above . . . just on an open flame.
Now I'm hungry!
More #unsponsored ALDI recipes/posts:
- A whole + HUGE cart! $108!
- Zucchini Burgers Recipe -- vegan + gluten-free
- What $77 Looks like at Aldi
- Fresh Orange Wakeup Smoothie -- 19 grams of protein!
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup -- lots of hidden veggies!
- A month of groceries = $291!
- The FULL THREAD of Aldi posts...