>> Friday, August 29, 2014
Here we go with the pumpkin! Expect a lot of it from me (and everyone else) for the next several months! I couldn't resist picking up a can of my favorite orange puree the last time I visited the store. We adore our Pumpkin Garlic Knots and Brie-Stuffed Pumpkin Garlic Rolls, among many other pumpkin-centric recipes. Don't you?
When I found myself without flour, I made a bread that didn't require any! It's a sweet, quick bread that contains no refined sugar, flour, or dairy/eggs. So, it's suitable for a variety of diets and preferences. We all deserve a little fall indulgence. (Didn't you hear? It's fall already, at least in my mind.)
HEARTY + SWEET PUMPKIN BREAD
Gluten-free, vegan, naturally sweetened, and perfect for breakfast, etc.
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk (or other nondairy milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flax meal + 3 tablespoons hot water (flax egg)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups FINE GRIND cornmeal*
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup gf rolled oats, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Handful semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a standard loaf pan with olive or coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together your wet ingredients -- pumpkin, milk, vanilla, flax egg, maple syrup, and oil.
- In another bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients and then toss them into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Mix with a spatula until just moistened.
- Transfer to your prepared loaf pan and smooth down until even.
- Bake for 1 hour, checking periodically. Should be set in the center when inserting a toothpick. If it doesn't come out clean, continue to cook for another 5 or 10 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.
I think walnuts would be an excellent addition to this recipe, I just didn't have any on hand. You can also substitute in any other purees you'd like, including applesauce, which would produce a lovely loaf. Oh, and I have another delicious vegan + gluten-free recipe coming up next week! It's a fall-ish cookie hybrid of oatmeal cinnamon raison + peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
// My Writing, Elsewhere:
How To Eat Well On Just $20/Week
6 Health + Fitness Rules That Have Changed
10 Things Healthy People DO NOT Have In Their Homes
Satisfying Stir-Fries in 20 Minutes Or Fewer
Tips For Getting the Home Loan You Want
12 Delicious Nut Butter Recipes to Make At Home
7 Tricks For Better Posture Today!
12 Herbs and Spices Every Pantry Should Have
5 Smart Ways To Save on Back-To-School Clothing
4 Workout Recovery Essentials For a Healthy Body
Make 15 Junk Food Favorites Healthier + Cheaper At Home
Like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!