>> Monday, August 4, 2014
One of my favorite breakfasts lately has been Aldi muesli with homemade almond milk or Greek yogurt. (Here are more of my Aldi favorites.) As I was noshing on it one morning, I thought -- why can't I just make this at home? And, really, this "recipe" is super simple and customizable to your own tastes.
You may even have all the ingredients you need already on hand!
What you'll need . . .
- 4 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- 1 cup flaked cereal (I used Heritage Flakes)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dry fruit of choice (I chopped up apricots)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash nutmeg, cloves, etc.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- Serve with milk or yogurt.
- Note: You can really put whatever add-ins and spices you want in your muesli. You can also up the ratios to fit your tastes.
- Sat: 6 miles at 8:00/mile
- Sun: 8 miles barefoot on beach at 9:00/ mile
- Mon: OFF
- Tue: 6 miles at 8:15/mile
- Wed: 4 miles barefoot on beach
- Thu: OFF
- Fri: 4 miles barefoot on beach
- Sat: OFF
- Sun: 10 miles of hills + humidity at 9:00/mile
I'm disappointed for letting running take a back seat, though I know my body -- and between our move, helping my parents move, and then helping friends move -- there were entire weeks where it was enough to get out of bed with all that soreness, let alone run double digits on the weekend!
Right now I'm trying to make the decision to pay and run the Wineglass HALF Marathon or to skip the race altogether. Is anyone else running the half this year? I think with all the difficult hills in my new neighborhood, I might be able to get a good PR on the fast + flat course. But at the same time, I hate spending more money just because I couldn't stick with my program.
I am registering today for this year's Women's Distance Festival 5K. I seem to be running around the same paces as I was last year, so I imagine I won't necessarily break 22, but I guess we'll see. A highlight? My BFF Erin will be driving up to run the race too! Can't wait!
Have any races in your future? Or did you have fall marathon plans that just aren't happening?
Like what you just read? Browse more of our posts + recipes on Pinterest. You can subscribe to the feed of these posts or follow us on Twitter or Facebook to be the first to know what the (never home)makers are up to. And we’ll love you forever!