>> Tuesday, August 19, 2014
It's crock pot season again! I'm so excited to pull my favorite appliance out from its hiding place and start using it to make anything from my old favorites, like Apple + Pumpkin Spice Stew, to new recipes like this one. (Don't forget to check out my 10 Tips for Slow Cooker Perfection!)
Have you tried yellow split peas? There's not much difference between the green and yellow varieties, though yellow is the dominant of the bunch. Split peas are great for vegetarians, as they are both low in fat and high in protein. They also contain quite a bit of fiber, which we all need -- that's for sure.
YELLOW SPLIT PEA SOUP
Made easy in your slow cooker!
What you'll need . . .
- 1-1/2 cups yellow split peas (dry)*
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomatillos, chopped
- 2 large stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Method . . .
- Place all ingredients -- except curry powder, salt, and pepper -- in your crock pot and stir in the liquids last. You may wish to add another cup of water to fill to the top.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high, until split peas have softened considerably and become mushy.
- Then in the last hour or so of cooking, add in the curry powder and season with he salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crusty sourdough bread.
My most recent loaf turned out beautifully. I'll write more about it soon! Basically, it shouldn't have worked . . . but it did. And I was ever-so thankful. I'll also be sure to share some thoughts on why the sourdough method I followed this time around feels kind of wasteful.
What's your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Here are more to try:
- Basic Crock Pot Veggie Stew
- Miso Split Pea Soup
- Rainbow Veggie Stew
- Black Eyed Pea Stew
- Apple + Pumpkin Spice Stew
- Chili Style Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Applesauce
- Slow Cooker Indian Curry