>> Thursday, April 16, 2015
You guys know I’m a biscuit fiend. (What gave it away? These 10,000 biscuit recipes?) I made this delicious slow cooker soup yesterday (I’ll post that recipe soon, too), and I always serve soup with biscuits, cornbread, or some other bready bread bread on the side. It’s just, like, a requirement. An essential part of the meal. Not to be skipped. Ever.
SPINACH + CHEDDAR “BUTTERMILK” BISCUITS
What you’ll need . . .
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance (or salted butter)
- 1-1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1-3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach (I used baby spinach)*
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Whisk together the flours, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Cut in your Earth Balance or butter -- I simply used my hands to blend until the mixture resembled coarse meal.
- Toss in the Greek yogurt, spinach, and cheddar cheese. Mix with a spatula (or your hands) until everything is moistened. You may need to add another couple tablespoons of water so everything sticks together (but isn’t sticky).
- Then flour a work surface and take your ball of dough and flatten it with the palm of your hand. It should be around 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Take the ring of a Ball jar (standard size) and cut out your biscuits. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Let cool a few minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container in your fridge for several days.
- Whole Wheat "Buttermilk" Biscuits
- Vegan Chocolate Biscuits
- Black Pepper + Basil Biscuits
- Yogurt Drop Biscuits
- Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
- Back Pocket Biscuits
- Cheesy Beer Biscuits
- Cheesy Old Bay Biscuits
- Spiced Applesauce Biscuits