>> Tuesday, September 27, 2016
For dinner last night, I decided to go easy on myself and simmer together a soup in the crock pot. I mean, is there anything better in autumn than smelling something yummy cooking all day long? And this soup has a healthy dose of spices that make it extra comforting.
You may have missed all my gushing last year, but I got a new slow cooker. I used to have one of those $10 varieties, and it worked quite well. If you're on a budget, I really recommend going with whatever you can afford because crock pot = easy dinner. My new baby? Still affordable! The Aroma 3-in-1, which is a slow cooker, rice cooker, and steamer in one convenient package.
I recommend using Granny Smith apples in this recipe. They have an extra edge that my McIntosh didn't this time around. But whatever you have should still do the trick.
APPLE + BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
What you'll need . . .
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bullion*
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or mix of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
Method . . .
- Toss the butternut squash, apples, onion, garlic, cider, water, bullion, spices, salt, and pepper into your slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours. Then let cool slightly and stir in the soy or almond milk.
- Transfer to your blender in two batches and blend until smooth.