>> Monday, September 5, 2016
Baking season is upon us. I picked up a delicious mix of apple pie spices the other day. So, when I saw a gigantic (and lonely!) zucchini hanging out in the fridge this morning, I knew what to do: Lure Ada off the iPad to make zucchini muffins! I have been making different banana breads and zucchini breads for years -- but I rarely go into muffin form. My plan is to freeze these guys for before-the-bus breakfasts.
Sniff. School starts tomorrow.
I adapted this recipe I found to make the muffins. I am also going to try to make a lower sugar version because I really don't feel like they need quite this much sweetness. I suggest cutting the sugar in half, and I'll report back with my own results soon.
PS: I've taken to using an ice cream scoop with a trigger release when I'm making muffins and cupcakes. Really makes the pouring part easier and less messy.
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI MUFFINSMakes about 36 standard size muffins.
What you'll need . . .
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice*
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- Chocolate chips, optional
* If you don't have a mix, use 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon of both nutmeg and cloves. Or all cinnamon. Whatever floats your boat.
Method . . .
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, chia seeds, salt, baking powder, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and spices in a bowl.
- Whisk together the applesauce, sugars, oil, and almond extract. Fold in the zucchini and optional chocolate chips.
- Combine the wet and try ingredients with a spatula until everything is wet. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon out batter into muffin liners until they are a bit over half full.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from pan and let cool before eating.
- Repeat baking instructions with remaining batter.