>> Wednesday, March 29, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of dates. I feel like food bloggers, especially those who do the plant-based or raw thing, use them in many recipes. The texture creeps me out (I'm not a fan of raisins either), if I'm being entirely honest. That said, I found myself sticking them in the cart on my short shopping trip the other day. Why? I wanted to make some energy bites that are low in Weight Watchers points.
I didn't end up doing very well with those trials -- so that recipe is still in development. It's actually getting really close. But I did come up with these guys, which are around 4-5 points each, depending on how you scoop them (flat tablespoon versus heaping).
Immediately after eating them, I get a boost in energy. They're perfect for before or after workouts. That's for sure. I have a 7-miler on the schedule tonight, so I'll definitely be packing a few of these in before I lace up my shoes.
ALMOND BUTTER ENERGY BALLS
What you'll need . . .
- 1 cup dates, pits removed
- 1/4 cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Handful or two chocolate chips (optional -- highly recommended)
Method . . .
- Pulse the dates in your food processor until they come together into a ball.
- Then tear that ball up into small pieces (to distribute more evenly in your processor) and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Pulse until you get a sticky dough. It may not pull together, but it should stick together when you press on it.
- Then scoop tablespoon amounts into your palm and roll into a ball. Repeat until you have 12-16 balls.
- Keep in an air-tight container in your refrigerator.
I wanted to thank you guys for your amazing feedback and sharing with my whole Real Life // Being Happy post. It's nice to know I'm not alone in how I think and feel. It's nice to know I'm not alone is just being happy with where I am in this world. I am hoping to get some time to respond more personally to your comments today. Nap strike + looming work deadline hasn't been helping in this area!
Chocolate + Nut Butter Energy Chunks
Chocolate Chunk Energy Cookies
Cocoa + Nut Butter Energy Balls
Cacao Nib Energy Chunks
Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bars
Automatic Healthy Eating // Learn to Love Alternatives